Last Revised: January 1, 2018
Questions about Privacy?
Please contact us here.
This Policy describes the personal information Shop OPSEU (the “Website”) collects about you, why we collect it, and how we use it. Our Policy also describes the choices you can make about how we collect, use, and disclose your information. If our information practices change, we will post an updated Policy on our website. You can tell if the Policy has changed by checking the revision date that appears at the top of this Policy. You can browse our site without providing any personal information, but if you choose not to provide us with certain personal information, that may result in your being unable to use certain services or features offered by us.
What kind of personal information does the Website collect?
We may collect personal information from you, such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number, credit card number, gender, birthday, personal interests, etc., when you visit the Website, place an order online, save your information with us online, return an item, or contact us with a question or concern. We maintain a record of your product interests and the purchases you make online.
How does Shop OPSEU use my information?
Shop OPSEU does NOT sell or rent your personal information to third parties. We may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To process and fulfill your order, including to send you emails to confirm your order status and shipment
- To communicate with you and to send you information by email or postal mail
- To make your shopping experience easier, more enjoyable and more efficient
- To address problems with and improve our products and technologies, as well as to develop new products
- To allow you to use our online technologies
- To provide consistent, personalized services across all channels, including to personalize our advertising, marketing communications, and promotional offers
- To organize local community events and promotions
- To help us learn more about your shopping preferences
- To prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate fraud, security breaches and activities that are or potentially may be prohibited or illegal
- As we believe to be required or appropriate to protect the rights, property, safety and security of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (“OPSEU”) and our employees and others
- As we believe to be required or appropriate under applicable law, to respond to requests from government authorities and to comply with legal process
How does Shop OPSEU share my personal information?
We may only share your personal information in the following ways:
- By You. You may disclose personal information when you post content to our websites or other public forums, such as OPSEU’s social media pages and online product reviews. Any information that you disclose through these services will become public.
- Legal Requirements. We may share information about you if necessary or appropriate, in our good faith judgment, to comply with laws or regulations or in response to a valid subpoena, order, or government request, or to protect the operations, privacy, safety, property or rights of OPSEU.
What other information does Shop OPSEU collect?
We may collect information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as browser and device information; information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies, demographic information and other information provided by you; and aggregated information.
We may use and disclose such information for any lawful purpose. If required, we will treat such information as personal information in accordance with this policy. We will also treat such information as personal information to the extent it is combined with personal information. For example, when you use our technologies, we may keep a record of your product interests, the purchases you make and other content you generate (such as adding items to your shopping cart).
We may collect information in a variety of ways, including:
- Your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and browser click-through and usage data.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: We may use pixel tags to, among other things, track the actions of users of our sites and services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of our sites and services and response rates.
- IP Address: Your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet service provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you access our websites, along with the time of the visit and the pages that were visited. Your IP address may also indicate your approximate physical location. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other technologies. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels and diagnosing server problems.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or Wi-Fi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. You may be permitted to allow or deny such uses, but if you do deny them, we may not be able to provide you with a personalized user experience.
How do I access, update or correct my personal information?
You can access, review, update and correct certain personal information related to your use of the Website (such as your name and contact information). To access your information on the Website, simply sign in to your account using your email address and password, and you will be able to edit your personal information in your account profile.
How do I know my personal information is secure?
We do our best to provide you with a safe and convenient online experience. We have in place physical, electronic, contractual, and managerial safeguards to help protect the security and privacy of your personal information in our custody and control. In addition, it is important that you create strong a password and that you keep it secret. Do not share your password with anyone, and never share it in response to an email or phone request, even if it appears to be from a trusted company or person.
How do I make choices about receiving promotional communications?
Shop OPSEU wants to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us so we will only send you promotional communications if you’ve requested them. If you prefer not to receive promotional information, such as email, direct mail and telephone marketing, you can let us know by contacting our customer service below or you can click on the unsubscribe link below.
What is "phishing"?
"Phishing" is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an email that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other personal information through email.
Retention of Information
We may retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Protection of Children’s Privacy
Children are not eligible to use the Website. OPSEU is concerned about the privacy and safety of children when they use the Internet. OPSEU does not and will not knowingly request or collect information online from children under the age of 13.